Friday, April 24, 2009

Telling a Windsurfing tale


by Ted Schweitzer

So I've been recording the history of Windsurfing's first decade.  Hoyle & Diane (my folks) didn't want to "look-back" at what they had done, they said that they prefer to live in the "present".  And I admire that perspective.  But there's also much I don't know about how it all started.  I was there and I lived through the history, but as a youth and I wasn't tuned into everything that was going on around me at that time in life. I had questions. And Tara & Matt (my older sister & brother) were no help, they were just as thin on the details as I was.

I guess us 3 kids assumed Diane would write the story because she started the Windsurfer Association, and the association newsletter which eventually turned into WINDSURFING magazine, that then became WINDSURF magazine.  She was an english major and has always had a fine way with words.  This I thought was her calling, her destiny.  Well, apparently she felt she had already fulfilled her destiny.  A few years back, she declared one evening that she wasn't going to write the story and asked us to stop harassing her about it already. At that moment, you could have heard a pin drop. Wha...wha...what? Not going to tell the story of windsurfing? How they started something completely new, from the ground up.  What does she mean that she's not going to share their story on the original Windsurfer, the One Design racing class and the business of manufacturing them throughout the world.  This is the history of windsurfing and the story of following your passions, standing firm on what you believe in, while being at the center of the sport. It's also about business, the politics of the Olympics, and yes, patent law/litigation. Not to mention the personal journey of a husband and wife team reflecting on the good, the bad, the ups and the downs.  There are experiences, stories and lessons that need to be passed along to future generations. 

And as I reflected about this, I began to realize that maybe I was wrapped up in the windsurfing years more than they were.  Or maybe, I just didn't have all the information to piece together what it all meant. I had bits and pieces. I wanted more, I wanted the entire picture with all the details.  I wanted to know everything about the one thing that dominated my life, and our family for some 20 years and beyond.

I knew Hoyle & Diane hadn't purged the windsurfing years from their systems. Far from it, I believe they live with it everyday, and that their lives have been hugely defined by those years. In speaking with them about windsurfing, the emotions are detectable, and thoughtfulness is deep. I've often sensed that they've had a hard time forgetting the battles and remembering the victories, but I don't draw judgement. 

As a percentage, more of my life has revolved around windsurfing and the Original Windsurfer years than my parents.  Hoyle and Diane had years of accomplishments before they started to direct their efforts towards windsurfing. They had a life before windsurfing.  The same wasn't true for me. From as far back as I can remember, our family life revolved around windsurfing,  life was nothing but windsurfing. Everything in my world, and I expect my sister & brother's world too, revolved around windsurfing. That is what was important, dear to my heart, and our family. I never thought our family would revolve around anything else. 

Now some 40 years later, I believe it is important to get all the pieces of the early days of windsurfing put together.  To know in more detail and document how windsurfing came together, and to share this history of  windsurfing.  Also to know our family heritage, especially because I enjoy windsurfing today but it's no longer a symbiotic relationship to our family. And to correct the misinformation that currently exists. I don't believe the story has been told.

I should be finishing some of the story in the next few weeks, it will be at OriginalWindsurfer.com and there will be old photos, historical archives, stories and even some Original Windsurfer gear. There are other parts of the story that I haven't finished or even yet started, those will be posted in an on-going basis.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

i think it is wonderful and amazing and i never new about it that much in till now thank you i think that is cool that u want other people to know more about windsurfing and thank u for sharing your knowledge w/ me love kira

Neko said...

Ok Ted, we are here hoping to see more results from your windsurfing history digging. Best regards, Neko.

Marc said...

Ted,
Thanks for doing the work of writing this history. I hope you will continue to add to it and fill in any blank spots. Your family has given joy to millions of people around the world. I am glad I was able to thank your parents when I met them at the 1983 Nationals in South Carolina.

Where in the Sea of Cortez is Bahia Santa Maria, where the first regattas were held? The only place of that name I can find is on the Pacific coast of Baja. Please tell us more about the cool photo above, with the Windsurfer coming down the line on that beautiful wave!

Many thanks,
Marc

ow.com follower said...

Good to hear from you Marc. Santa Maria is about 30 miles south of San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja California. It truly is one of the birthplace of the sport. The image above is of me at Malibu beach a few years ago. Taken by Brad Bickle with a marguerita in one hand, what talent! I don't go out on my stocker in the surf often, but that day was perfect and I had a blast on my ol' "wally" in the surf.

Anonymous said...

Ted, this is great. What you're doing with this site is a must. Shiny brand new equipment is nice and all, but the history is as important to us. Can't wait to get more tidbits from you.

Personally, I am as interested in the entire Windsurfer era, all the way to the late 80s. Not just the first 10 years. I have as good memories on my Windsurfers from the late 80s than the late 70s and up.

I still sail and freestyle on old gear, which I can take out from 5 to 20+ knots. It complements well my shorter boards, and in fact sailing Windsurfers is better for shape (no harness) than my shortboard freestyle.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Pierre C.

Matt & Shawneen Schweitzer said...

Hi Ted; Matt & I have been enjoying your website. We are very proud of you. We are still living windsurfing every day here on Maui, especially with Zane carrying on the Schweitzer name in races around the world. So it's just as important for the new generations of the sport to know about the history. You have poured your heart into this project and we admire you for that. Thanks for recording these events, and we look forward to more posts.
Love, Shawneen & Matt
PS Zane is Bonaire at the Slalom Worlds You can check out his blog at blog.zaneschweitzer.com

Shawneen / Matt Schweitzer said...

Hi Ted; Matt & I have been enjoying your website. We are very proud of you. We are still living windsurfing every day here on Maui, especially with Zane carrying on the Schweitzer name in races around the world. So it's just as important for the new generations of the sport to know about the history. You have poured your heart into this project and we admire you for that. Thanks for recording these events, and we look forward to more posts.
Love, Shawneen & Matt
PS Zane is Bonaire at the Slalom Worlds You can check out his blog at blog.zaneschweitzer.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the history. I bought my first board at the LB Boat show in 1976 ($550!) and picked it up at the factory (in Carson?). I raced against Matt and Mike (even beat them a few times!). I got into Windsurfing mostly for the one-design aspect; I was a dinghy regatta racer tired of losing to better equipment (as opposed to better sailors).

Windsurfing changed, or made, my life. I became a certified instructor and paid for college by teaching hundreds of people how to windsurf using the old simulator and wide beginner boards.

Reading the history brought back many great memories and was very emotional.

THANK YOU for putting it together, and thanks to your parents for inventing it!

I still sail regularly - just sailed from Catalina to San Pedro and back on a F2 Phoenix 320 (avg speed 22 knots).

DWSV said...

Hi Ted,

Thanks. A great website, very nostalgic and emotional. It brought me over 35 years back.

I will place a link to your site at www.dwsv.net

Best regards
Murat

Harold Elfring said...

Hello Ted, we have organised a surfcup for the "old boards". We call them oude deuren (dutch) translated : old doors.

see http:://www.oudedeurensurfcup.nl Lots of pics on it and some history.

Jimmy Smith said...

Good luck on the Windsurfer business. I've found my interests to be a pretty good leading indicator, and if that holds true there will be a lot of people like me that want a simple water sport you can do without traveling far from your home town and doesn't require gasoline. I would like to think I'm unique, but it appears I'm just the tip of a boomer heard with the same ideas. I started sailboarding in 1981 on a Windsurfer. Like many I changed with the sport and became a gear junky. All these years later I look back on the simplicity of the original Windsurfer as the time I enjoyed the sport most. I think the momentum of the sport eventually declinded under the weight of all that gear! I'm sure you have had a ring-side seat to the whole thing. Anyway, I would love to see the sport come back and would love to see the original Windsurfer lead the way as it appears to have done in Australia.

Steve said...

Ted, I wanted to thank you for documenting the history of windsurfing on your amazing website. Windsurfing first touched my life around 1976 when I was 16 years old. My brother Greg and I were very active in the Northern California windsurfing scene, and enjoyed attending the weekend regattas. By age 20, I had moved to Hawaii and worked for Rick Naish, helping build boards. After 5 years in Hawaii, I decided to devote time to get an education and moved back to California. Throughout the years, I have been active in the sport sailing short boards in Rio Vista and SF Bay. I recently came across 2 original windsurfers, or "stockers" as I call them and really enjoy riding them on the light wind days. I can't begin to describe my feelings for the sport and the joy that it brings me when I am out on the water or tinkering with my gear. I am forever grateful to Hoyle and Dianne for creating windsurfing and can't imagine what my life would be like had I not become so obsessed with the sport. I am now 49 years "young" and windsurfing is in my blood, and I never intend on giving it up.

I am looking forward to reading about more windsurfing history and connecting with old and new friends who share my passion.

Thanks again for sharing the story. I believe this will be sort of a catalyst to bring people togethor and more "Ah-Ha" moments.

Cheers, Steve