Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's About Community

Toucan Open Sept 10-12

"Once upon a time, in a land far away...The boards were long, the clothing was neon and the harnesses were few and far between"

I took the above sentence from Larsons Ski and Sport's website; they hosted the Toucan Open on Lake McConaughy in Nebraska in mid September.  Because this event has been going on for decades I thought the above sentence was most appropriate to describe the event's provenance and also remind people of why we go to events and why there are events at all.
I arrived the evening before and the lake level was high, and so was the wind!

People attend events and gather for varieties of reasons and I won't attempt to speak for everyone. But from my point of view windsurfers get together to have fun, improve our sailing skills, spend time with friends, family and maybe make some new friends along the way. It's also a great excuse to travel and explore.

Beach camping fills in and the wind outside picks up.
I had been to this event in the 1980s during the height of Windsurfer One Design races. It was more than a regatta, it was an event. People from all over gathered and they were excited to be there, they were part of something and you could sense it. Some were there to win, some were there to race better than their last regatta, and some came to just finish a race.

Toys for all ages scattered on the shoreline.




Karen Mariott, her sister Brenda with help from brother Ryan and their mom Joanne hosted the Toucan Open. They've been keeping it going and make it a welcoming environment.


I raced on my new Original Windsurfer and had some good fun races.
The first day was windy so after wearing myself out windsurfing I joined a few guys surfing the swells that were rolling into the beach.

It's amazing how much fun you can have if you want to.
Photo: Trying the Windsurfer for the first time.
I brought a couple boards and several people took them out for a spin.  It was fun for me to see people discovering the Original Windsurfer–something that's been around all along, they just haven't been exposed to it.

The last day brought light wind.  Someone recommended a Slalom Relay Race sailing on 2 of the Original Windsurfers (no it wasn't me!) and Karen made it happen.

Within 30 minutes 2 marks were set, and two teams were ready for the challenge. Each team had 7 sailors. The course was to sail around the buoys and then hand off the Windsurfer to your teammate.

I think it's safe to say most of these people had never sailed a Windsurfer, or if they had, not in the last 25 years.  For most of them it was their first time on the board and now they were racing on it!

After sailing the Windsurfer in the Slalom Relay some of the comments I got were:

"that is 'pure' sailing...it's so simple and pure".
"that's fun, the board is so responsive and the sail is so light!"
Team effort


It was the Blue team against the Red team. I had met all these new people over the last 3 days, and now we were working together–or against each other–to win!

The wind was light but the spirit was high; we were engaged in the task at hand, beat the other team.
I was the last sailor for the Red team and regretfully I didn't sail down and away from the last slalom mark to knock the opponent on the Blue team off his Windsurfer.  It's hard to knock someone you just met off their board. Sorry red team.

Now that I know these fellow sailors better and they know me, next year I won't hold back. Watch out Blue team.
 This guy took a cruise up and down the shoreline with his daughter on the front of the board.
As the final sunset for the weekend set across Lake McConaughy the world surrounded by windsurfers feels like a smaller and happier place to be.
I am thankful to have had the opportunity to gather at this event to sharpen my sailing skills, have some fun and make some new friends.  Thanks Karen, Brenda and family for hosting and continuing to provide a venue for windsurfers an event and weekend worth coming to.
 
Closing comment: Do you have a local windsurfing community?  Leave a comment about what makes it work for you or what you envision it should be.  Is it all about sailing for you or maybe it's social first, then sailing? Or maybe you just want to go fast by yourself; hey that's okay too.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ted!

What a great story! My windsurfing community in the past was Barra de Navidad, Jalisco, Mexico back in the 1980s ~ and we all windsurfed, and partied and kept an eye on each other, raced at times, at times just sailed some rum and cokes out to the sandbar and beached the boards and watched the sun set...

Our new community in Grosse Pointe Michigan is beginning to grow and I think we need an event to get it moving, like a spring windsurfing demo day picnic. I would like to put on a demo lesson, and maybe you could come down and do some freestyle, and we could rig up the boards and let folks take a spin and just have some fun! I am going to take it up with the veteran windsurfers around here and see if anybody is interested in doing something like that! I will also talk to the Parks and Rec person and see if it is something we could do and have it published in the Spring Communicator and invite the community to come by!

I loved the feeling you inspired in your story ~ and I remember the day when we used to put our kids on the fronts of our boards and take them for a spin! Good times, and good fun without electronics! xoxoLauren

Brian S said...

I'd guess that most would think that windsurfing is not as social as playing cards or having dinner with friends. You can't bring your friends or family on board with you (unless you own a Starboard Start!) When you're sailing, you might be focused on going fast or improving skills or tricks, or maybe just on the simple pleasures of the wind and sunshine and hearing the water smack against the bottom of your board - not very social either. However, I'd also guess that most would enjoy all of those sailing experiences more in the presence of their friends. Drag racing a buddy or showing off a new trick, or even the story-telling, kidding and lies during a de-rigging session. When the weather isn't perfect, there are times that you wouldn't go out if you knew that no one else would be out. It's definitely social. There's also the newbies. Every one of us was helped by someone who's done it longer or better.
I started a social website in MI for the sole purpose of just 'fueling the stoke' and trying to connect windsurfers in this area, because I think it's better when it's social.

Brian S said...

To Lauren,
I don't know about your group in Grosse Pointe. Get in touch with me through http://miwindsurfing.com/ and I'll help advertise your events.
brian